You want an EV that can pull things for you when touring or looking for something fit for mild adventurous getaways. The reasons and options are endless with a plethora of upcoming electric SUVs and electric pickup trucks.
There are many reasons to choose an electric SUV or truck. They are environmentally friendly, efficient, and stylish. Here are a few things to consider when making your decision. Electric SUVs offer many benefits over traditional gasoline-powered vehicles. They emit no pollutants, have a far smaller carbon footprint, and are much more efficient.
Think of how impeccable and ultimate Hummer EV looks but shelling out $112,000 is not meant for everyone. However, Ford F-150 Lightning did make noise with its price tag and power with a 900kg payload and 4.5 tonnes of towing capacity. There is so much more to the fantasy worlds of electric SUVs and electric trucks.
Choosing between an SUV or a pickup truck can be challenging as many are still awaiting production like Tesla Cybertruck. However, there is definitely deliberate confusion in choosing between the two powerful types of EVs.
Table of Contents
How to Choose Between Electric SUV & Electric Pickup Truck?
The message is loud and clear that EVs are the powerful future of the automobile industry. However, there definitely is a big pool of choices to make when it comes to finalizing which one you want.
SUVs and pickup trucks both are substantial in size and have loads of features worthy of looking out for. Many even confuse some pickup trucks with SUVs as there are remarkable similarities. But, how to choose one from SUVs & trucks? Here’s a quick rundown to help you make a decision.
When it comes to choosing a new electric car, size matters. Not only do you have to consider the size of the car itself, but also the size of the battery and motor.
The bigger the battery, the longer your car will be able to travel on a single charge. And, if you choose a motor with more power, you’ll be able to go faster and have a more responsive driving experience. Ford F-150 Lightning offers the biggest size in electric pickup trucks with 563 horsepower.
Tesla Model X with falcon wings offers huge cargo space with an impressive number of 85.1 cubic feet. Of course, there are trade-offs to consider. A bigger battery will add weight to your car, which can affect performance. And a more powerful motor will use more energy, which means that you’ll have to recharge your battery more often.
When it comes to electric cars, comfort is just as important as range and performance. After all, you’re going to be spending a lot of time behind the wheel. Rivian R1S is a worthy name for the most comfortable SUV with an impressive 835 horsepower makes it the best of both worlds.
Take a look at the seats. Are they comfortable? Do they offer enough support? Are the headrests adjustable? Moreover, consider the cabin. Is it quiet and spacious? Or is it cramped and noisy? You should be comfortable and happy with the cabin feel and it can be a deciding factor for your SUV or pickup truck.
A powerful motor will also help you get up to speed quickly and make passing other cars a breeze. After all, you don’t want to be stuck in the slow lane while everyone else zooms by. Tesla Model Y and Mustang Mach E can do 0-60 in less than 3.5 seconds.
A powerful motor will also give you a smoother ride. That’s because electric vehicles have instant torque, which means that there’s no lag time between when you hit the gas and when the car starts to move.
Range & Charge Times
The time it takes to charge an electric SUV is an important factor to consider when choosing a new vehicle. While some models can be fully charged in as little as four hours, others can take up to 12 hours or more. Tesla Model Y offers 330 miles and is an obvious favorite for its speed and style. Audi e-tron can complement you with its luxurious make and the ability to charge to 80 percent in only 30 minutes.
If you’re planning to use your SUV for long-distance travel, you’ll want to make sure that you choose a model with a fast charge time. For shorter trips, a slower charge time may not be as important. Kia EV6 is quick charging and is loved for its sporty design all over the world.
EVs are excellent for off-roading thanks to their high torque and the batteries’ low center of gravity and near-balanced weight distribution. Ground clearance, as well as other features, will influence what you can do off-road, just as they would in a combustion vehicle.
Luxury matters when choosing a new electric SUV or pickup truck for several reasons. First, luxury vehicles tend to have more features and better build quality than non-luxury models. BMW iX looks incredibly sultry in its looks and feels.
Luxury electric vehicles often come with superior customer service and support. This can be invaluable if you have any problems with your vehicle down the road. Also, luxury vehicles tend to have a higher resale value than non-luxury models, so if you ever decide to sell your vehicle, you will likely get more money for it.
Mercedes Benz EQB is a class ahead in the electric SUVs list making it perfect for families and professionals alike. Rivian R1S looks great and offers a large battery as well.
As with any vehicle purchase, the initial purchase price is an important factor to consider when choosing an electric SUV or electric pickup truck. However, it is also crucial to keep in mind the long-term cost of ownership. And note that the starting MSRP sticker price may only include borderline less powerful specs. A full-blown trim with AWD and the features you want will cost more.
Mazda MX-30 EV might be the cheapest SUV to own but the others like Tesla Model X can cost you significantly more. BMX iX starts at $84,100 and Model X sticker price starts at $114,990. However, electric trucks are not any cheaper as well. Rivian R1T starts at $79,500. Ford F-150 Lightning starts at $38,920 and can go as much as $80,435 for higher trims.
Electric SUV vs Electric Pickup Truck
When it comes to choosing between an SUV and a truck, it really depends on what you need the vehicle for. If you’re looking for something that can handle off-road conditions and haul heavy loads, then a truck is probably the better option. With both trucks and SUVs, you can install some of the best running boards on the market, however, you won’t be able to cram as many people inside a truck as you would an SUV. If you’re mostly concerned with having a comfortable and spacious ride for everyday use, then an SUV would be a better choice.
Here are a few other things to keep in mind when making your decision:
- Trucks are generally more expensive than SUVs, so if budget is a concern, an SUV may be the way to go.
- Trucks tend to have better towing and hauling capacity than SUVs, so if you’ll be using your vehicle for those purposes, a truck is the better option.
- SUVs generally have more interior space and amenities than trucks, so if comfort is a priority, an SUV would be the better choice.
At the end of the day, it’s up to you to decide which type of vehicle you should buy.
The SUV segment is one of the most popular in the automotive market, and for good reason. SUVs offer a great combination of space, utility, and oftentimes off-road capability that many drivers find sports utility appealing.
Electric SUVs are the newest entrant into this segment, and they offer several advantages over their gasoline-powered counterparts.
Pros of Having Electric SUVs
- Environmentally friendly – Electric SUVs produce zero emissions, meaning they are much better for the environment than gas-powered SUVs.
- Cheaper to operate – Electric SUVs are cheaper to operate than gas-powered SUVs since you don’t have to pay for gas.
- Better performance – Electric SUVs often have better performance than gas-powered SUVs, since they have instant torque and don’t have to deal with gears.
- Quieter – Electric SUVs are usually much quieter than gas-powered SUVs since there is no engine noise.
Cons of Having Electric SUVs
- Range anxiety – Since electric SUVs have limited range, you may need to plan your trips carefully to make sure you don’t run out of battery power.
- High initial cost – Electric SUVs can be more expensive to buy than gas-powered SUVs, although they may save you money in the long run.
- Charging infrastructure – Electric SUVs require access to a charging infrastructure, which may not be available in all areas. Overall, electric SUVs offer several advantages over their gasoline-powered counterparts.
Electric Pickup Trucks
There are a few key considerations that come into play when deciding whether or not an electric truck is the right choice for your business. Here are some of the pros and cons to think about:
Pros of Having Electric Pickup Trucks
- Electric pickup trucks have their own advantages as you can carry equipments such as a tent for camping, also the new Ford F-150 Lightning can also give power to houses in outage situations.
- They also produce zero emissions, which is good for the environment and can help you meet sustainability goals.
- Instant Power: Electric trucks tend to have very good acceleration and torque, making them well-suited for hauling heavy loads.
Cons of Having Electric Pickup Trucks
- Electric trucks can be more expensive to purchase than traditional gasoline or diesel-powered trucks.
- Moreover, their range is typically shorter than that of traditional trucks, meaning that you’ll need to plan your routes carefully to avoid getting stranded.
- Electric trucks require access to a reliable and robust charging infrastructure, which may not be available in all areas.
Not only EVs are more environmentally-friendly than gas-powered cars, but they’re also more efficient and cheaper to operate in the long run. So, if you’re in the market for a new SUV or pickup truck, an electric SUV is definitely the way to go. But when it comes to electric SUVs, not all are created equal.
An electric truck like F-150 Lightning brings a lot of power and functionality. However, BMW iX SUV brings sophistication and luxury along with power.
As the world increasingly moves toward electric vehicles, it’s important to consider not just the initial purchase price of an electric SUV or electric pickup truck, but also the long-term costs of ownership. This is why the choice comes down to individual requirements and likes.
If you happen to go touring with your family often, you might find a truck more suitable. But if there is a need for range and style, Tesla Model Y could be a better choice for you.
There is no right or wrong here, but with the amount of upcoming electric SUVs and electric trucks, the sky is the limit when it comes to comparing your options. Please share with us, what you think is a better choice, Electric SUV or Electric Truck?